Monday, November 28, 2011

10 days before gallery reception for BFA final show.
I have been working with the crows for 4 months now to not much avail. Mary Kenny (drawing/ design and printmaking teacher) reintroduced me, inadvertently to Matt Woodward. http://www.mattwoodwardart.com/  He does large, large scale graphite drawings revolving around architecture and its embellishments. I have heavily leaned on him to finally figure out what to do with my crows. I have made 2 large 4x4 feet panels of crows on lines. Below are the two seperate panels- one done, one started. I'll glue them together and hang them to the floor. 
The crows on the lines represent a type of meditation- like rosary beads or Buddhist prayer beads.
All very rough and gestural. 







All other crows have been cut up and are being sewn into a paper quilt that is also 6-8 feet long and will also hang to the floor.
The quilted crows reference the hospice where my dad passed away in Australia. When a person passed away the family typically made something and gave it to the hospice-  bed covers, paintings, pottery, crocheted doilies etc.
The quilt also references comfort, covering, story telling. A quilt is like a historical document- 'it  tells the story of a time or the  story of a life . Traditionally many have been purely functional, created for warmth, but culturally, they have expressed the lives , and often marked the celebrations,of the person who made them.' (pictures to come)



I also have painted in charcoal and acrylic two 4x4 foot panels  of single crows...actually a raven and a crow.
Not all will be hung but I will take them all to the gallery and see how they get along together.


No comments:

Post a Comment