Monday, October 24, 2011

Building


I'm building 2 ferry seats. I have a friend in Truckee, Dave Hunter,  who does wood work (amoung other things) and he is teaching me to draw up measurements based on a photograph, work out dimensions for wood needed, create templates etc. He is coming down to Reno to choose and purchase wood today with me-so the 'chick' does not get ripped off or sold something that she does not actually need...


The seats are based off ferry seating but do not necessarily need to be a strict read of them. I'm hoping that they will act as a temporary stopping point for people visiting the gallery once installed. I want people to take a moment, contemplate? The ferry seat is about the commute, transition....












The ferry ride is also meant to reference the Greek mythology story of Charon, the ferryman of the dead,. He carried the souls of the deceased over the river Styx (or the river Acheron), the river that formed the boundary between earth and the Underworld. He only accepts the dead which are buried or burned with the proper rites, and if they pay him a coin for their passage.

My father also did woodwork. He built various meditation stools so my ferry seat is a gesture to acknowledge his work and the idea of meditation and  contemplatation.









No comments:

Post a Comment